***

***

Friday, December 4, 2009

Message for Daddy

Derek was so proud, he wanted to tell Daddy...


Ignore that blank stare at the end of the clip, he was mesmerized by the dangling camera cord.

My feelings of disdain for the potty training process are still alive and well. Training Alex was the most frustrating aspect of parenting for me to date. So I'm delaying the inevitable for now, and will begin to potty train Derek in earnest once we get back to our house. For the time being I'm encouraging him to sit on the potty, and every once in a while something comes out. I love the proud look on his face as he receives his gummy worm reward.
Alex has finagled a way to get one of her own. Whenever Derek produces anything while on the potty, the first thing he does is run to his sissy to share the good news. After watching her lack of enthusiasm for her brother's accomplishment, I let her know that there might be something in it for her if she could manage to congratulate him. I felt a little guilty about bribing kindness, but it's really not much different than what I'm doing with Derek.
With him, I'm offering a reward for a behavior that I want him to learn and repeat: using the potty instead of his diaper. With Alex, I'm offering a reward for behavior that I want her to learn and repeat: being excited for her brother as he learns new things.
It might be flawed logic, but it's working for now. She's saying "Good job, Derek!" and getting excited for him. It's even becoming more sincere as she sees how much her praise means to him. Just as one day I expect Derek to go potty with no reward, I'll expect her to congratulate her brother on new abilities without reward as well. Only her day is coming sooner than she realizes.

I'll let you know how that turns out.

In other news, last night big, beautiful snowflakes started floating down. I love the first snow of the season!


This is the scene I woke up to this morning:



Merry Friday to you!

2 comments:

One of Us said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the potty training. Elisha will only hold it right now. The one day we tried, he walked around grabbing himself saying he had to go potty. I put him on the potty and he tried launching himself off. So, I put a diaper on him and a minute later it was sagging off his bum. Unless he trains himself in the next week or two, I'm not trying again until I get a full night's rest.

Jen McD said...

TWO POOPOOS IN THE POTTY! I love it - he just keeps saying it over and over. Erin, I think he'll be easier than your experience with Alex.

Yea DEREK!!