***

***

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Names

When Josh and I were engaged, I spent some time more time than I like to admit writing out my new name.
Doodling, if you will, while I was supposed to be learning about pharmacology and holistic care approaches.

Erin Schore

I liked it.
First of all, I was a Smith, and I think my name was stifling my creativity.
Plus, it was a small step up in the alphabet food chain.
Emphasis on small.

Once I was married and used to my new name, I moved on to naming our future children. (Which, incidentally, I had actually been doing since junior high school.)

I watched A Walk to Remember and fell in love with the name Landon for a boy.
Yes, I like teeny-bopper movies.
Yes, it's the one with Mandy Moore.
Yes, I have a song from the soundtrack on my iPod list.
No, I am not ashamed.
Much.

So the future was determined, I was going to have a son named Landon.

Then I was talking with my friend Heather, who had recently had a baby girl, and also liked the same movie.
She said that she had liked Landon too, but couldn't get past the fact that when paired with their last name, Campbell, it sounded too much like a local restaurant called "Land & Cattle."

We chuckled, and I boasted that the name was mine all mine!
Because there was nothing wrong with Landon Schore!

Then she looked at me kind of funny, and my dream died.

Landon Schore. Land on shore. Land & Shore.

Fast forward a little over 4 years later, and I'm in the hospital with my newborn son. He spent his first night nameless.

I never got over the loss of Landon.

Good thing he was so sweet. It helped ease the pain.




3 comments:

Heather said...

You made me laugh out loud! And my sister too (since I read her the whole post :)). How I remember that sequence of events. Still like the name Landon too. And Alyvia. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I say just name kids what you want to name them . . . most of the time.
My mom knew someone whose last name was Dick.
Would you like to know what they named their son?
Good.
I'll tell you.
They named him Royal.
Some people should not breed.

Jen McD said...

I say you have another baby boy and name him Landon. It might seem silly now, but it's rememberable. And she Smith/Schore cuteness will bless him past all middle school giggles.

Go ahead, that sweet little nugget with perfect skin. You need another.