***

***

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rant

So I was riding behind a vehicle today with a bumper sticker that said:

"It would be a good day when our schools had all the money they needed, and the Air Force was running a bake sale to buy a bomber."

Or something to that effect...after all it is quite snowy 'round these parts.

This bumper sticker bugged me.

Certainly it would be lovely if our country had no need for an Air Force.
You know, if people like Adolph Hitler and Osama Bin Laden had never graced our planet. Or if there weren't countless people out there willing to blow themselves to bits to take out as many Americans as they can.
But based on the fact that our world is not, indeed, perfect, then I would prefer that our defense funding not come from a bake sale.

Maybe a better bumper sticker along the same vein would read,"It would be a good day when we had no need for national defense and all that money could be spent on schools and helping our neighbors and just being jolly good people."

Sure. And it would be a good day for me when dinner made itself, my children did not whine, and I could find a comfortable bra.

Well heck, as long as I'm dreaming-- it would be a good day when I didn't need a comfortable bra because my girls would be perky all on their own.

But I live in the real world.

I can respect that they are in favor of adequate funding for our schools. 
If their bumper sticker had read: "It would be a good day when our schools had all the money they needed, because greedy politicians (on both sides of the aisle) stopped lining their pockets with our money," I would have pulled up next to them and agreed with pleasure.

But instead I felt like pulling up next to them and telling them to pull their head out of the sand.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the owner of that car happened to be privy to all of the top secret information pertaining to our national security and knew for a fact that our safety is guaranteed.

Or it could be that I'm just overly sensitive to this because my husband has just missed Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years so that they have the freedom to drive around with an asinine bumper sticker.

Yes, that definitely might be the case.

My apologies.

Rant complete. Thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

Jen McD said...

Didn't even see it and it bothers me just the same. How about kids have funding and professional sports organizations have to have bake sells for new uniforms, or horrible actors raise funds for better hair and make up artists, "talented" singers raise money to purchase the items they are given for free.

Money is grossly misdirected in this country. If anything our defense needs MORE. Especially enlisted families who can't even afford for a mom to stay at home..

I'm just getting started!

js said...

That wouldn't be a good day, because if we held a bake sale to buy anything like that, we'd be augmenting appropriated funds, which is illegal. You can't buy stuff for which Congress has appropriated money with any money except that which Congress has appropriated.