***

***

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Party On

Today Alex and I went to a birthday party for one of her preschool classmates.

When I was little, birthday parties meant cake and ice cream with a little pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. Maybe some stickers to play with and a goody bag at the door.

These days, that just wouldn't cut it. Inflatable gyms and indoor amusement parks are more the standard. And folks are getting creative out there.
Today's party was super cute and just perfect for a girly girl.
Can you guess?


It was held at a local beauty salon, and all the girls got facials, make-up, and nail painting.

Yes, you heard me correctly.
My 4-year-old had a facial today.


Has her mother ever had a facial?
Nope.
I almost pushed her out of the chair and took her place. It seems logical that the one with the visible pores should be the one to get the facial, wouldn't you say?

It really was a sweet little party, and perfect for such a nice birthday girl. Isn't she cute?


Did I mention that it was a pajama party?

Question.
Is it okay to be jealous of a preschooler's hair?
Is this girl beautiful or what?


Here's Alex with one foot...
and now two feet...

...in the door of a career as a stripper.
 Maybe I should have given PtB a little more credit when she thought of these.


Not sure what exactly they put in those whipped-cream topped strawberry sodas, but looks like someone had one too many, wouldn't you say?

That proves it. You let them wear makeup and it's all downhill from there. The binging and imbibing.

All of the girls had so much fun.

The downside is that now Alex knows more of what the world of birthday parties holds, and she's going to be expecting something big come May.

Previously my party planning thoughts were as follows:
- How do I get away without throwing one?
- If I throw one, how do I time it so that I'm not expected to feed people?
- Is there a party out there in which the children are watched and the mom's get facials?

I've got 3 months to chew it over.

6 comments:

Grandma said...

Ha!!! Those hooker dolls don't seem so silly an idea now, do they? They are my princess's way back.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never throw extreme parties! I am lame like that. This year, I did a Fancy Nancy party. They made a fancy purse (which doubled as the take home prize and was cute!), had a fancy tea party (cheap!), each girl brought something fancy for show and tell (free!) and I had it at 2 or something so no lunch! Yay, me! Oh, we made cupcakes and let the girls decorate them fancy like. Looks like she had fun. I don't think I have ever had a facial. :(

I'm Erin. said...

That's a cute idea Taylor!

One of Us said...

I am not showing this to Marina! Hers is in April. A Fancy Nancy party is a good idea. I'd just have to figure out how to keep the boys from joining in!

Jennifer said...

Wow! That sounds like fun -- if only the moms could participate. We have so many precious "boy" friends so these fun girly parties won't work... But I'm sure when the girls are 8 and boys have "cooties" then maybe something like this will be good! We're doing gymnastics party this year!

Megan Roof said...

First let me say I love her green eye shadow. Iam all about avoiding bday parties as well. I keep wondering when they are at the age when you can drop them and go? I keep hoping that Summer bday parties can mean turning on a hose in the backyard and handing them a bouncy ball when they leave...sadly I don't know if that will work. ohhhh.