***

***

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 8

Some of my favorite moments as a parent come when I overhear conversations between my kids.

Now, I'm not talking about the ones where my oldest tells her brother that if he doesn't do it her way, then she'll never play with him again. Those I don't count among my favorite moments.
Nor the copious amounts of conversations that include the terms booty, poop, and eyeball.

Yes, eyeball.
I can't say why exactly, but that is akin to a potty word with its level of hilarity around here.

But sometimes there are funny ones, and sometimes there are sweet ones.

The other day we were driving in the car, and Derek was talking about something that we used to do.
But he pronounced it "loosed to" instead of used to.

This was more than my Type A eldest could handle without correction, so she very kindly said to him, "No Derek, it's not luh-luh-loosed to, it's nuh-nuh-noosed to!"

Talk about the blind leading the blind. 
 

Tonight after Awanas I heard this particularly sweet one...

Derek: Awex, did you know God loves us all the time? Even when we do somefing weally bad? Even he loves us then. 
Alex: Yep. And Jesus loves us so much that he died on the cross for us so we can go to heaven! Do you want to go to heaven? All you have to do it believe in him.
Derek: I do!
 
This is something we talk about with our kids all the time, because there is nothing more important to Josh and me than that they understand their purpose in this world.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

To hear them talking about God to each other with their simple faith touches my heart.
And I am so, so grateful for the Awanas volunteers who give up their Wednesday evenings for 9 months of the year to invest in my kids in such a invaluable way.

Derek could not stop talking tonight about how he had received his very own Cubbies bag.
I believe it might qualify as the funnest day ever. (Which we all know doesn't really mean much.)

So I'm going to post this picture of me and my little man after Cubbies, but only after the following disclaimer--

1) The camera adds ten pounds.
2) The humidity is, prepare yourselves, 97%. That's ninety-seven. As in, almost 100%.
3) I had just finished eating a free steak dinner at the Outback, and if I wasn't greasy to start with, the Bloomin' Onion didn't help.
4) My family's hair genes are nothing to get excited about. (holla, mom and dad)
5) Do you know how fierce hippos are? I was about to be consumed. 

Now we can go ahead and see it...


Thing 2 melts my heart with his smooshy little face.


And even more when he comes out of the bathroom with his shirt tucked into his undies.


I'd show you some shots of Thing 1, but she wasn't in the mood to be photographed.


We all have our days.

It's now 11:15pm and I'm trying to stay awake a little longer in hopes that I can catch Josh to skype as his day begins.
The time difference is 8 and a half hours.
Now, I know that I'm no mathematical genius, nor is science my specialty. But how does that half hour increment occur?
Somebody 'splain it to me, I am simple minded.

My mom probably sent me to preschool on a bus or something.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

if your camera adds 10 pounds then you need to eat a cheeseburger...or two!

Taylor said...

This is the funnest post ever!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Pre-school was not my favorite stage, but sweet, sweet moments like that make it all worthwhile. Thanks for sharing.

I'm Erin. said...

Taylor, we all know that doesn't mean anything.

It's a complesult.

(You know, from 30Rock? An insult disguised as a complement)

I'm on to your tricky ways.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Hey, I'm with you, those hippos are viscious - you were just lucky to make it out of the photo alive!

Sunk Costs said...

FREE STEAK DINNER?!? tell me more.

Maranda said...

My daughter is adamant about saying "nuh nuh noosed" too! She also says, "nudder" instead of "other". awesome.

Super sweet that your kids can talk about Jesus with each other (or each nudder if you prefer).

Anonymous said...

Love your daughter telling her brother how to be saved! SO PRECIOUS! Good to hear your emphasis on their purpose! Prayers! Lisa