Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 13

Mondays around here are kind of like an extension of the weekend. We don't typically have anything scheduled, so we linger in our pj's for a good part of the morning.

Did I also mention that our weekends start around noon on Friday? Yeah. We don't have anything scheduled after noon on Fridays either.

It's a good life.
Only I need someone over the age of 6 to enjoy it with.

We were able to skype with Josh again today. It's great for the kids to be able to see and interact with him. I love being able to talk with him, too, though it seems neither of us have much of interest to share.
He mentioned today that his days are almost exactly alike, so he warned me that his end of the conversation is probably going to be a little dry.

Turns out I have the same problem. Most of my days revolve around three meals and lots of potty breaks.

And some of this, of course--

Excitement around here includes Derek peeing his pants in the TJ Maxx.

(I just threw his undies away and made him go commando, because I wasn't finished shopping yet. The replacement cost for the underwear will be taken out of his college fund. This is the real world. There are no accidents.)

Oh, and I bought something new that needed to be hung on the wall and I did it all by myself! I used a drill for the first time. No one was harmed.
Also, I believe I did not disturb the structural integrity of the house.

I didn't even forget to take out the garbage on trash day! I'm totally on a roll.

Back to our conversations...
There's also a lot Josh can't talk about over the internet, and quite a bit that he can't tell me, ever.
(This takes some getting used to! As wives we want to know everything, even though it has nothing to do with us. It makes me think it must be something really juicy if he can't tell.)

Usually we chat for about 20 minutes, with the internet dropping the call about every 5 minutes. A little frustrating at times, but we really are just grateful that we can chat-- quirks and all.

I've been celebrating from a distance with a lot of friends who are having their reunions this week. Once our guys got established over in Afghanistan, the T-Bolts were able to return to Idaho. It is wonderful to see the families back together, but it's also been a little emotional to watch the redeployment process from a distance over Facebook.

I see the disappointment when the jets get delayed, which always, always happens.
One friend, after finding out her husband was not going to return that day, posted that she was going to bed alone for night 205.

When I try to think about what I will be feeling when we're approaching Day 200, I do feel a little teary.

(The 180 days I allude to is not really very accurate, since that doesn't include travel time. 200 is probably a lot closer to the mark.)

So I pulled out the calendar and started writing in all the things I have planned for the next long while. October is filling up with a visit from my good friend Laura and her 3 kiddos in the first week. Then I'll be making a little trek up to DC to reunite with some of my college roommates in the middle of the month. Finally at the end of October, another good friend, Jen, will be in town for a week.

Sometime in mid-November I will head up to Michigan to spend the holiday season with our family. There will be plenty of picking on Pat the Bunny, having fun with cousins, and live-in babysitters.
Those weeks will be sure to fly by!

After that, well, we'll take it as it comes.

And I have a feeling it might look something like this--

And that's just fine.
Like I said, it's a good life!


Sandy said...

ok, i am confussed about the whole wetting the pants thing...weren't his pants wet too? he was wearing pants wasn't he?

Christina said...

I like Mondays at your house!! :) Sandy made me laugh. I didn't even think about that.

Erin said...

5 minute skype conversations - check. Lacking conversations - check. 4 year olds wetting their pants - check. Gotta love the 180 days.

Joyce said...

I'm glad you have Skype...it's not the same as in the flesh but I'm glad you get to see him just the same. I'm not good with not knowing stuff...just sayin' : )

I'm Erin. said...

Good question Sandy ;)

Since he was standing up, and his shorts were kind of droopy, it hadn't soaked through to them yet.

Probably helped by the fact that we were three feet in front of the bathroom when it happened. So I swooped right in and stripped him down.

Maranda said...

I love how you look for the positive in the midst of a difficult time. You are inspiring.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I would totally stay in my pjs if they were awesome enough to be covered in dinosaurs.