***

***

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Brrrrr.

I'm cold and my house is a mess.

I'm pretty sure the best choice I can make at this moment is to sit down and blog.
After all, the mess will still be there, but my laptop gets really hot on the bottom left side, so I'll just keep moving it around my lap and taking what warmth I can get.

You see, our house has a heat pump, which is designed for the typically mild North Carolina climate.
Well this winter has not been mild.
The poor little heat pump runs around the clock trying to keep it warm enough.
It works mostly, though sweatshirts and thick socks are a must.
December was one of the coldest months on record for this area, and the talk around the neighborhood has been "How much was your heating bill?''

Care to guess?




Ours was $269.
Ouch.

Good news-- when I play Just Dance on the Wii, I get warm enough to start taking off some layers.
Bad news-- I'm a terrible dancer, and the apple didn't fall far from the tree.


The last three days, Alex's school has been canceled twice and had one 2-hour delay.
Total snow accumulation: 0.00 inches
Is there such a thing as been too cautions?
I submit that there is.

In the school's defense, yesterday was a legitimate cancellation due to ice.
And heck, I'll take any opportunity to turn that alarm clock off and wake naturally to the slowing rising sun groggily to my insistent son.

At least I didn't have to go through the morning battle with Alex:

Me: You have to eat something before you go to school.
Alex: But I'm not hungry.
Me: You will be.
Alex: But I'm not now.
Me: Take a bite.
Alex: *takes bite*
two mintues go by
Me: Take another bite.
Alex: *Points to a bite already inside her mouth.*
Me: Is that the same bite as before?
Alex: *nodding*
Me: CHEW IT
Alex: You didn't say I had to chew it before.
Me: *deep sigh*

Tonight is Awanas, which the kids love, but when I'm loading them in the car at 6:20 I can't help but think to myself-- If we just stayed home, I could put them to bed in 25 minutes.
Am I just the cheeriest person you've ever met or what?
But go we shall.

This past week, Alex learned all of the books of the New Testament.
I even learned something too-- there is a new book called Floppians. At least, there is according to Alex. It comes right in between Ephesians and Colossians.
I'm hoping that the teacher doesn't correct her, because it's really quite cute.

My nose is cold.

I think I might need to go dance.

Or clean.
I should probably clean.

Or maybe I'll just sit here on the couch and balance my laptop on my nose.
All viable options.

8 comments:

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

We need a snow day in Florida...OK maybe I just need to take a day off and send everyone else to work and school.
Princess doesn't like to eat breakfast either. She threatens to throw up some mornings. It's quite a lovely argument that commences. I love Floppians! Princess says "keside" instead of decide and "kerssert" instead of dessert. Hubby and I were just saying the other day that at some point we are going to have to make her say it correctly but it's so cute the way she says it.
Stay warm! Oh, and if you keep dancing you could shed those pounds before your cruise.

Brigitte said...

You are very funny! I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Precious video!

Rachel from Superior, WI (land of the perpetually cold people who have heating bills every month that might make you cry - makes me want to cry, at least)

One of Us said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mish said...

I love how Derek didn't even look up to notice his sister dancing 2 inches from his face. Too cute!

One of Us said...

Love AWANA nights - mainly because Justin takes the older two and I put the younger two to bed and exercise. It is the one time a week I have to exercise. I should really find at least other convenient times.

Taylor said...

Thanks for the laugh! I needed it tonight!
I am cold too.

Nicole said...

Hey...I have a heat pump too, but w/ proper electric supplimental heat you should be able to keep your house warm. Maybe have the owners check it out? if that doens't make sense I can elaborate more later;)