***

***

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday, again.

It's Wednesday again. That was quick!
Join in the Wed-nes-day hodgepodge right here.

Am I the only one who actually says Wed-nes-day when writing that word? Because I do.


Let's get started...

1. The NFL playoffs were held this past weekend and this year's Superbowl will feature the New York Giants versus The New England Patriots. How do you define 'patriot'?

I define patriot as one Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr.
 You see, he's a Michigan man. And so I am a fan.


I like to say that we went to school together, because we did.
But the truth is that I never set eyes on him on campus except while on the football field.

What? Were you expecting something deeper? Like something about this guy?


Well, he's a patriot, too. And I would rather be married to him than to that other patriot I mentioned.
Thanks for what you do, Joshie!
And for letting me call you Joshie.
And for giving me two great kids.
Who shart in the bathtub while you're deployed.

2. What's something in your life right now that feels like a 'giant'?

My muffin top.

Ha! I kid, I jest.

But who wants to jog with me when I get back to warmer weather?

Well.
In about two months and two weeks from now, we should be living in California.
This seems odd, because I am currently sitting in a house in Michigan with our schtuff scattered all around. My husband is in Afghanistan and wont be home for, oh, about 2 months.
Soon I need to get two kids and a bunch of schtuff to North Carolina. And then somehow we must arrange for that household to be moved to California. And then we've got to figure out how to get us and our vehicles to California. And find a place in which to reside.

But let's think of it as more like a giant adventure, shall we?

3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think back to being 18?

Starting college, meeting Josh for the first time but thinking he must be someone's little brother, being on my own and liking it...good times.

4. Coconut-mashed potatoes-vanilla ice cream-mayonnaise...which white food would be the hardest to give up?

I'm going to go with mashed potatoes. Coconut isn't really a big part of my life, and I don't much care for mayo.
Let's get to the heart of the matter-- There are many other flavors of ice cream. So by giving up vanilla, I can keep both potatoes and non-vanilla ice cream.

5. Describe an incident or a day you remember as being the coldest you've ever experienced.

I remember one day of snow skiing that was just bitterly cold and I was forced to stop many times to warm up in the lodge. It was my toes and fingers that were the coldest.
The next day I found out about those warmers they have for your gloves and ski boots.
Ah, hindsight.

6. You're hosting a brunch....what's your favorite dish to prepare and serve?

Oh Joyce, how you make me laugh.
I would never be hosting a brunch.

7. How do you combat negative thinking?

A change of perspective is usually all that I need.
I believe the Bible, and it is more than enough to calm any anxious thought. Not that they wont come back again and again, but the good thing about the scriptures is that you can go back to them again and again.

 James 4:14 says:  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.


Does it strike you odd that I like that particular verse about how soon I'm going to be dead?
Me too; it's probably because I'm weird.
But it does wonders for perspective.

Really, this life is short. What things really matter?
Having a nicely decorated home? Lots of money? This body?


None of it lasts. (and some of it is photoshopped)

One of my favorite quotes ever was written  by Jim Elliot, who was a missionary who was killed in the mission field. He said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose."

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Why no, no I'm not certain that sermons and sharting belong in the same blog post. Thank you for asking.

10 comments:

April said...

Hi Erin!
I'm visiting you from Joyce's! Big thanks to your husband for serving our country. He's a true American hero! What an adorable family you have! I plan to start jogging, again, once the weather starts warming back up.

Nani said...

I laughed because when I read the first question out loud last night, I said "Tom Brady." :) But I agree with April, your husband is a greater and more important patriot!

I like your ice cream/mashed potatoes answer, but just in case they'd take my Baseball Nut or Birthday Cake ice cream away, I'll take a baked potato!

Brenda said...

I like your positive attitude about having to move.
Please tell your husband thanks for us. He is a true Patriot!
God bless.

Susan said...

I also answered with Tom B. as a Patriot. He is a cute one. But your husband is the real honest to goodness patriot. Thanks to him, and to you.
I will pray for your schtuff getting from here to there and there to here without much stress or strife! Is that even possible??
Have a blessed day.

Skoots1moM said...

thanks to your hubby for his service; i have a nephew going for his captain's bars in the army; he's so committed...his daddy is a retired major for 82nd airborne...just love all those guys!

good luck in getting settled in california :)

Joyce said...

Moving always feels like a giant but somehow things do come together.

Many thanks to your true patriot! Go Giants!

Joyce said...

Oh, I forgot to mention-I always say Wed-nesday. : )

Taylor said...

Oh, man.

I like you.

Christina said...

I say if sermons are relevant to life, and sharting is a part of life, then it's totally fine that they are in the same blog post. I'm guessing that the people who are in the Bible had to poop, regularly. ;)
I love this post.

Beth Lewis said...

Wed-nes-day. Yes, me too!
Sharting? That's a new one and I am pretty sure I'm better off not knowing.