***

***

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweetness in Slippers, and that other kid.

This week I did not neglect to snap a few photos of Miss Alexandra the Ballerina before taking her to dance class.


If only she acted as sweet as she looks... ;)

Tomorrow is the big day! First day of kindergarten.
Her lunch is made, her bag is packed, she's picked out the dress she wants to wear.

If it weren't already bittersweet enough to let her go, my friend had to go and send me this poem...

First Day Of Kindergarten School Poem

~Author Unknown~

She started school this morning,
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
In the Kindergarten hall.

And as she took her place beside
the others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.

Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.

This little girl so much absorbed
In learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
To girlhood overnight.

My eyes were blurred, hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.

Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn't understand.

And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.

But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.

And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play;
She's not a baby anymore --
She's in Kindergarten today.
Sniffle, Snort.
Weep. Wail.

Allow me to go mop up, and in the meantime I shall lighten the mood by sharing with you these things that have come out of my mouth today:

"Derek, please take your hands out of your pants."

"Guys, I know you love Monkey Bizness, but we cannot fly out to Idaho for a slide."

"Derek, I think you would do better eating that ice cream with two hands, so please take your hand out of your pants and use it to eat."

"Yes, I am aware that my nipples are bigger than daddy's, would you mind giving me some privacy while I get dressed?"

"Derek, you're supposed to be sleeping, let me cover you back up. And take your hands out of your pants."

Life with preschoolers is nothing if not comical.



I'll let you know tomorrow what life with a "schooler" is like.

7 comments:

One of Us said...

At least he had his pants on. Elisha keeps running outside after his siblings (and around the house) without anything on his bottom. Totally free access.

Heather and Scott said...

Thinking of you tomorrow -- you know who you can call if you need some comfort...or want to celebrate! :)

Jaime said...

I detest that poem. So glad I have boys and it will never apply to me...HA!

Jennifer said...

Excited for you guys! And I'm impressed that you already have her lunch packed! Good luck!

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

I hope today goes well! The poem made me get all weepy again. Mine have been in kindergarten for 3 whole weeks and princess finally got over asking me not to leave. I was feeling pretty good about it till I read your poem. Sigh...

Kelli said...

Ok- my daughter is only 2, and I got teary eyed having to THINK about taking her to kindergarten! Hopefully it went well and she loved it!

You've got some cute kiddos!

Taylor said...

Aw . . . first day already?!? What happened to starting in September? Hope it went well!

Hey, Derek! Please take your hands out of your pants!
ha!