***

***

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Real World

Only without all of the drinking, hot-tubs and fornication.

(If you've never watched MTV you can just ignore that last statement.)

So today I'm feeling like we're back to the real world.
Military moves, while a lot of work and frustration, also have their upside. It typically means that Josh gets a break from work for a bit. He takes some leave while we're on our road trip and then the military often will kindly give him a week to settle in before he has to report to work.

In exchange, he merely offers to go wherever they tell him, when they tell him, for however long they tell him, and lets bad people shoot at him.
Pretty much an even exchange.

Now that he's back to work and PtB has returned home, today starts the first full week of our new normal.

This morning I went by the elementary school to drop off the registration packet for kindergarten.
For my baby girl.
Who's supposed to start school in 4 weeks and 2 days.

I don't want to talk about it.

Except to say that when I dropped off the packet, I was told that I was missing a few items. Turns out that when I went to the school the first time, I wasn't given the entire packet.
Is it just me, or are people becoming less competent at their jobs these days?
Or maybe it's just because the memory of setting up our cable and satellite is so fresh in my mind, and those people were totally incompetent.

So I filled out the rest of the paperwork, drove home, and then drove back to the school again to give them the other forms that they needed.
Alex is officially registered for kindergarten.
Only I might just back out at the last minute.
We'll see.

Then, since the kids behaved like adult monkeys instead of adolescent monkeys while we were running those errands, I rewarded them with lunch at McDonald's with a Playplace.
Am I the coolest mom or what?

Or what?
Oh.

Now hear this: Derek stopped playing in the play area to tell me that he needed to go to the bathroom. And that, my friends, is a little something called progress.
However, I ask you, why is it really necessary for us to work so hard to potty train our children? Shouldn't sitting in a pile of your own urine and feces be lesson enough?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Also, while you're answering, can you also tell me why my curser has disappeared? Dang computer.

After lunch we went to The Walmarts on the way home to pick up some pull-ups.
I know lots of people don't like to use them for potty training because they feel a lot like diapers, but I am not anti-pull-ups.
I use them when we leave the house, because I am anti-carseat-cover cleaning and anti-public-floor cleaning. However, Derek and I have an understanding that if he actually allows any bodily functions to happen in those pull-ups, he owes me 35 cents from his college fund.
Or 31 cents if I had a coupon.
Those things aren't cheap.

Then we came home.
Such an exciting day so far, wouldn't you say?

It's not?
Well, that's my real world.
And I kind of like it.
Most of the time.
Except when I don't.

Goodbye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh*
This year I will have a 2nd grader and a 1st grader
*double sigh*
I am homeschooling
*triple sigh*
Pray for me.

Jen McD said...

Mcdonalds?!? 3 years living without chick a lay and they wanted mcdonalds? You are one good mommy. I totally would have trumped their fun time

I'm Erin. said...

I know Jen, it's killing me. But Chick-fil-a cooks in peanut oil.

Oh the humanity.

One of Us said...

If you homeschooled you wouldn't have to go out so much......