Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 65

We made it to Michigan, safe and sound, and with no troubles on the road. Thanks for all your well-wishes!

I'm starting to feel like a true deployment warrior: I have tackled a broken vehicle, broken appliance, two hotel stays, big-city touring, and 1300 miles of road tripping in the past two months. Next up: Surviving 4-ish more months...and my family.

We are visiting first at Pat the Bunny's house and then we will make our way over to my mom's house for Thanksgiving.
I was able to meet my little nephew for the first time (pictures will be forthcoming), and PtB is already up to her old bunny tricks.

She set up an area in her basement where the kids can play, and she bought them some new toys. One of the toys needed a battery, and so she found one and installed it.
Then she determined that the battery was no good and off she went to the store to buy a new one, lest her grandchildren be forced to wait until a more convenient time in which she was, say, already out of the house.

But she would never do that to her sweet grandbabies. They must have their needs met instantaneously, else she would not be fulfilling her grandmotherly duty.

While she was gone, Alex came upstairs and mentioned that we might want to call Grandma and tell her not to bother, because she had flipped the battery so that it was inserted, well... correctly, and the toy was working.

6 year old vs PtB.

Point-- 6 year old.

Pat the Bunny has also been caught talking to someone on the phone, when it was indeed a voicemail she was having a conversation with, and also trying to call in an order to pick up dinner at the Chicken Shack using the remote control.
It's only been 2 days people.

Last night Derek woke up in the middle of the night. I went into his room to see what the problem was and, without turning on the light, asked him what was wrong. He replied that he could not find his pillow.
So I flipped the light on and realized that the reason he couldn't find his pillow was because he was no longer in the bed.
Nope, he was on the floor, with his head resting inside a suitcase.
I can see how that would make pillow-locating a wee bit challenging.
Poor little chap. It's his first foray into the world of full sized beds. Considering that he's just a tiny infant baby toddler, he's naturally been sleeping at home in a toddler bed.
He should fit nicely inside of it until puberty, I think.

So there's my quick update to let you know I've arrived, and soon I promise to be back with pictures.
Oh, and Josh is doing fine as well. The Armed Forces Network was showing the Michigan-Nebraska game yesterday, so he and I snuggled up on the recliner and watched it together.
I asked him to hold my hand, but technology falls just short of that feat. ;)


Jamie said...

Glad you made it safely! Enjoy your time with family! :)

Laura said...

i've been thinking of y'all and praying the trip went safely. have lots of fun on your stay-cation!!

Suz said...

Glad you made it there safe! We leave TX on Friday. I'll let you know when we make it to NC and will prob be asking for more suggested places to go! Hope you have a great time with the family.

Robyn said...

We watched the Nebraska/Michigan game as well. And while we were together in person, I have a feeling that you & Josh enjoyed the game much so than we did. ;-)