***

***

Friday, July 6, 2012

El Hongo Habla

Hey there. It's me. Your friendly neighborhood mushroom just checking in.

I'm glad you can't see me.
My inter-friend Taylor sent me a text asking if I still looked like a mushroom.

My reply--
There's a fungus among us.

Oddly enough, I've gotten 4 complements on my hair since that fateful day. Either it's not as bad as I think, or I really need to be surrounding myself with people who have better taste.

The mirror tells me to go with that last option.

Is anyone else thrown off by the holiday-in-the-middle-of-the-week thing?
Josh got the 4th and 5th off work, and he'll go back in tomorrow, and then we get the weekend together. I'm not complaining, it's great. But I keep forgetting what day it is.

Sometimes I even forget that it's summer. Like when I have to rummage through the kids' closets for some patriotic clothes that include pants and long sleeves. The companies who make children´s 4th of July gear tend to stick with T-shirts, tanks, and sundresses. They obviously aren't thinking of us poor, miserable wretches here in sunny, cool, and gorgeous Monterey.

What? You don't feel bad for me?
;)

We rode the trolley downtown to the parade. The kids watched from on top of the newspaper stands. Afterward they had fun playing a few carnival games.



Here is a picture from a couple weeks ago. Josh went diving and the kids and I played/laid on the beach. (I'll let you figure out who played and who laid.)


Why is it that my husband's pastimes always center around going off into the wild blue yonder? Can't he ever keep his feet on the ground?

Today Daddy and Alex headed off on another date. They saw Brave and went to Cold Stone for ice cream.


 Derek was happy to get a bubble bath and some playtime on the iPad while they were gone. I love that sweet kid, he never once complained about staying home while they were away. He just said, I hope Alex is having a good time. Melt my heart.

I'm still meeting with my tutor twice a week, and I'm really enjoying learning Spanish. It's kind of like a puzzle that's slowly starting to come together. I'm able to laboriously make it through some elementary level books, so you can pretty much just call me an expert now.
Ha.

And I'll leave you with some pictures of Derek enjoying his gymnastics class.




Ladies man.
Don't worry, there's at least one other boy in his class, so he's not totally outnumbered.


What can I say? We arrived too late for T-ball or soccer.

I'll have to get some shots of Alex at her next class.

AdiĆ³s por ahora!

-- El Hongo




5 comments:

Me and Mr. Wright said...

I can see an olympic hopeful there with that little guy! :) I say you post a picture of your haircut! :) I really want to see it!

And Im really jealous of the weather you're having. Its bordering on miserable here in Barksvegas, LA. :)

Sandy said...

your hair must be bad...that poor man in pic 2 had to cover his eyes!

just be thankful that you are gorgeous enough to pull off a bad haircut!!!

Sandy said...

the first part of my comment was a joke...i forgot my ever present smiley face! the second part was a complement...take it!

Amiee said...

We NEED to see a pic of your hair! I am not good at imagining. I'm sure you look great :)

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

You linked to me! *tear*

Josh is serious about the diving. Perhaps, he should be lazy like the rest of us and bring chips and a book? Yes?