***

***

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day 175

Tomorrow (Wednesday) will mark 25 weeks since Josh left.
That's a long time!
No matter how hard I fight against it, there is always a part of me that feels like life is just "on hold" until he gets home.
Something feels off, and incomplete, without all four of us together. 
But it's not just all good things that must come to an end, but the not-so-good things as well!

There is a chance that tonight was our last Taco Tuesday without him!!
:) Yippee Skippee!

I can't sleep.
I've got butterflies in my tummy.
I'm all nervous, like I'm going on a first date or something ;)

As if he isn't the same guy he was when he left.
The one who searches youtube for clips of people hurting themselves.
And eats fig newtons out of the carton.
And riles up the kids right before bedtime.

As if he wasn't the one who knocked me up a couple times.
And witnessed the least attractive moments in my life.
You know, like pushing his kids out. 

But now I'm cleaning the house, getting a haircut, and planning the Big Shaving Event of 2012.
My legs wont know what hit 'em.

It's just like nesting, only without the baby.

It's my favorite part of military life.
This will be our fourth honeymoon in our ten year marriage.

The first was the traditional one. You know, when Josh was just a baby.



The next was after the first deployment. 4 months apart.


Then the second deployment. Only 3 months for that one.


And now we are waiting for the longest one to end. And it's almost here!

(You are permitted to say anything in response, except to remark on how quickly it went.)

I actually am not easily offended. You can pretty much speak your mind without bothering me.
For instance, I was able to chuckle about this conversation with my well-meaning dental hygienist:

Her:
Oh, your husband is in Afghanistan? 
My brother was there. Yep, he was in Iraq, too. He said Afghanistan was much worse. Much more dangerous. 
You know, he just came back home different somehow. The things he saw there really changed him.
*sadly shaking her head back and forth*

Me: 
Um. Yeah. 
That's too bad. 
Did I mention that my husband is there right now? 
Gee, I hope he doesn't come back "different."
Thanks for giving me something to think about while your lead fingers gouge out chunks of my gums.

Except I didn't really say that.
Because the lead fingers were in the way.
And, like I said, things like that usually just roll off.

But if you say this time went quickly, I might hunt you down like an animal.

Hee hee.

No, really.

11 comments:

Sandy said...

great news...and on oreos one hundredth anniversary! (i still get a little weepy when i think of that baggie of oreo middles...)

Me and Mr. Wright said...

Probably good he is coming home, I fear you were having to eat the entire Oreo. :)

P.S. I would let Susan Riley cook you a meal. Request the Fiesta Lime Chicken. That may or may not be the reason I miss her most.

Taylor said...

Really? Already, huh?

This is why you heart me. FYI.

Joyce said...

Sorry time has slowed to a snail's pace?

Happy honeymoon!

melanie21 said...

It has been forever, even from my perspective, and military honeymoons are THE BEST! After 6+ months this one might last longer than usual, you know, at least 4-5 days ;)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

You have almost convinced me to ship my husband off for a few months just so we can have a honeymoon again.

But since I feel like yours has been gone FOREVER I can just imagine it would seem even worse if it were mine. :)

Brenda said...

four honeymoons is pretty good in 10 years!
So glad for you that it may be the last Taco Tuesday!! :)

Suz said...

OH wow! I didn't realize when you said soon that it would be within this next week! That is exciting!! And I didn't go to TT last night....Matt is finally flying and didn't get home until it was time for me to leave for crud practice. I should have just gone to TT by myself and crashed yall's dinner. Your kids would have been like "who is this weird girl again?" hahaha. and THANKS Megan! Yes, if you guys are down for it I would love to make you a meal! Let me know what day would work best. I'll give you a call and we can plan something. Good luck with the cleaning and shaving :)

I'm Erin. said...

Wow, offers of meals? Maybe it's more like having a new baby that I thought! ;)
Susan, you totally should have joined us last night. It would be good birth control.
And you don't need to make us a meal, though my mouth did water a little when Megan mentioned the words "fiesta lime" ha! We should all do dinner together some time, your husband might like being able to ask questions and bounce ideas off someone with some experience in the strike eagle, who's Not in his chain of command ;)
Thanks for all the supportive words ladies, except Taylor. And I know where she lives.... ;)

Lisa Stepi said...

So glad this time is coming to an end for you soon - I hope these last few days go by quicker than you hope for!

Anonymous said...

Sooooooo excited for you!!! And... If I had known you were a words with friends player...... I could challenge you in the speed in which I respond!

New game - Draw something. Totally addicting if you need something to get you through to honeymoon time! I'm mermermama

Jen mcd