Friday, January 23, 2009

Mr. Tough Guy

You can't doubt that Derek is a tough guy-- I mean check out his black eye!

I'd like to say that he got into a fist-fight at a playdate over a cute girl, but that would be stretching the truth. Well, not even stretching, more like just flat-out lying. The truth is that mommy let him fall into the edge of the dryer. Oops! I should have gotten a picture sooner; it was much worse. But I digress...

Derek really is a tough kid-- he did so well during his procedure this morning!

Yesterday he was on a clear-liquid only diet and he would occasionally beg pathetically at the pantry door and make me feel like a villain for not feeding him. By the time they took him away to the operating room this morning, it had been 14 hours since he'd had anything to eat OR drink! But instead of fussing, he was busy playing peek-a-boo with the nurses, saying bye-bye to anyone who walked in and out of the room, making friends in the playroom, and just being as sweet as can be.

I snapped a couple of pictures as we were waiting to get started, and I told him that he'd get more pity if he put on his most pathetic look (I told him to channel that look from the pantry door yesterday) and he complied. I promise he wasn't as sad as these shots seem-- though he was exhausted. We woke him up at 5:45am for the hour drive to Boise

We got some more snow last night and the roads were terrible. I think the hardest part of the day was just getting to the hospital! (If Derek could read he'd be giving me a dirty look for that comment; I'm guessing the drive wasn't the worst part for him.)
The procedure went smoothly and Derek didn't seem to be too uncomfortable after waking up. He wasn't a big fan of the IV they put in his foot, but once it was out he seemed to cheer up. After getting home, he was his old self again!

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and prayers today! I must say that considering the circumstances, I felt very peaceful while he was in the operating room. I even managed not to cry as they carried him away-- though the tears threatened to come. He was so sweet waving bye-bye to me as the anesthesiologist walked away with him.

The doctor reported that things looked fairly normal in the scopes-- we'll have to wait until the biopsy results are in next week to get a diagnosis. We would appreciate continued prayers for that.

We are so thankful to God for keeping our baby safe today!


Rachel said...

Those hospital-ish pictures are just about the most pitiful looking things I've ever seen. I want to snuggle him and I'm not even his Mama! I think I would've lost it! I'm glad he's feeling better.

Jennifer said...

Gosh! I can't believe how many patients I saw in that same setting, outfit, look in their eyes... But it's amazing how different it all looks to me now with my "mom" eyes. I'm glad today is over with and am praying for you guys!

Jen McD said...

Ok, those pictures are pretty sad. I am so relieved that all went well. Praying for accurate results and a plan for little man.