***

***

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Hudgepudge

It's Wednesday again, and it would appear I haven't blogged since last Wednesday. But thanks to Joyce for the motivation-- join up here and give your answers to this weeks questions.

1. The expression 'mad as a March hare' originated with a fictional character who is distracted and frantic. When were you last 'mad as a March hare' and what was it that made you that way?

Hmmm, distracted and frantic...
I can't remember the last time I felt that way. I do tend to get a little worked up when I'm trying to do several things at the same time. I'm no good at multi-tasking. Or sometimes when I'm running late I feel that way.

I think the Spanish people are rubbing off on me though-- they really don't seem to get worked up very easily. If they're running late, you'd never know it because they'll still be strolling at a regular pace. Several times, I've rushed the kids on the walk from the metro to the school because we only had a few minutes. Then I'd get them dropped off and while I'm walking down to the bus stop, I'll see some children in the same uniform slowly meandering up toward the school with their parents, seemingly unconcerned about the time. I think I'm too American to go that far.

And I appear to be off topic now as well.


2. Mardi Gras this year falls on Tuesday, March 4th. Have you ever been to Mardi Gras, and if so what did you think? If not, do you have any interest in going?  Purple, green, and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras. Which one is most prevalent in your wardrobe? How about in your home?

I've been to N'awlins a couple times, and one was during Mardi Gras. I was part of the Honor Guard in ROTC and we drove a big 'ole van full of college students from Michigan to New Orleans to participate in a competition down there. We did a routine which included tossing heavy rifles around.
Now that I'm older, I'm not sure what made me think having someone toss a heavy wood and metal object toward my face would be a good idea.
Oh, that's right. I think it was the promised trip to Mardi Gras...and the commemorative t-shirt.

I remember thinking it was a lot crazy, and also a little sad. Seeing so many "grown ups" totally wasted in the streets was a shock. I thought that kind of reckless, immature behavior was just for us college students.

As far as those colors-- I'd have to say that green is the most prevalent in both my wardrobe and my home.

3. Are you old fashioned?

Depends. I would say I am traditional in some ways-- I enjoy being a housewife/homemaker/domestic engineer/insert term of preference here. I like when men hold the door or give up their seats for women. I suppose those things seem old-fashioned now.
On the other hand, I love technology.

Yesterday we were without internet all day and I almost didn't survive. I got the shakes around noon from withdrawal. I thought I should maybe just go shopping or something, since it looked sunny out. But I couldn't pull up weather.com to confirm, so I just curled into the fetal position and rocked back and forth compulsively hitting 'Refresh' to see if we were back online.



 4. Do you carefully plan your vacations, or do you prefer the days to be more spontaneous?

Ugh. I plan them so much that I'm sick of the place before we even get there. Maybe in the future I'll try a spontaneous vacation, but for now when traveling with children it seems best to have a plan in place.
Especially when traveling overseas, it helps a lot to have read up online before, let's say, arriving to a poorly marked Italian train station. Planning ahead also saves money-- when we were visiting the different cruise ports on our trip last year, there were many places when I knew from prior research that the kids could travel via train or bus for free. If I hadn't checked it out first, we would have bought them tickets, because they don't advertise it well in the stations.

Just this week we booked a short trip to London during the upcoming spring break. I haven't had time to start the research phase yet, but rest assured it will happen.

 5.  March is National Sauce Month...what's your favorite sauce, and what do you most often top with this sauce?

Zip sauce, baby.
It's a steak sauce from Josh's family's favorite restaurant, Lelli's.
You must go to Michigan and try it.

 6.  What's something that easily brings a tear to your eye?

Watching military homecoming videos. Guaranteed cry. I wont even click the link if there's anyone else home at the time.
I'm not sure if I would cry just the same if I had no affiliation with the military, or if I cry because I've been there/done that, or maybe it's that I know I'll likely have to be there/do that again.

Whatever it is, crying is a sure thing.

Like a girl on her wedding night.

I meant that the girl is a sure thing, not that she'll cry.

Although she might cry as well.

I didn't though.

Cry, I mean. Of course I put out.

I'll stop now.


 7. If you could own any sports team, which one would it be and why?

How about Real Madrid? Anyone affiliated with those guys is more popular than the King. And I'd get to stick around my favorite city.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Today is the first day it feels like spring! (Glad I'm out of snowball range when I type that)
The sun is out and I celebrated by taking my new rollerblades for a spin through the park. I bought skates because Alex has been using hers and I thought it would be more fun if we could skate around Retiro together.

I learned that:
1) I'm out of shape.
2) My sense of balance is not what it used to be.
3) It's embarrassing to fall down in front of a pretty fountain and possibly a tour group.

4 comments:

April said...

I couldn't rollerblade for anything...falling down comes too naturally for me! I've never been to Mardi Gras, but I have been to New Orleans...not a fan.

Joyce said...

I used to roller blade when we lived in Maryland and had a nice flat trail away from traffic. I wouldn't begin to try it here, it's so steep. I picture myself careening down our road, unable to stop.

London. Only a little jealous.Have a wonderful time! It's hard not too : )

A Joyful Chaos said...

Glad you got your internet back! I'm addicted to it too, in fact your description of having to do without for a while nearly made my skin crawl as I hugged my laptop a little closer.

Rebecca D said...

Your description of losing the internet cracked me up!
I have never been to Mardi Gras and it seems like most of us are not interested and reading the descriptions from those of us who have been, it is just cementing that thought!