***

***

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hodgepodgerific

Es la mezcolanza de Miércoles! Tu también puedes unir con nosotros en el sito web de Joyce.

Hazlo. Todo el mundo está haciéndolo.

Vamos!

1.What is something you'll never forget about the age you are right now?

The obvious answer for me would be living our Spanish adventure. I'm already nostalgic and we haven't even left yet.
When I was a teenager I wrote a list of things I wanted to do in my life. I wish I still had it because no doubt it would be amusing, if not embarrassing, but I do recall that two things on the list were to 1) live in a city and 2) learn another language.
I don't think I ever really expected to be able to do those things, so I'm even more grateful for this crazy, unexpected opportunity.

Another thing I'll remember about this age is that for the first time since I became a mommy almost 9 years ago, I've had a chance to get back to being me as well. For so many years, my identity has been wrapped up in those two little people who required so much of me to survive day to day. Now as they become more independent, I'm finding the time to do the same.

It turns out that "being me" entails: hermitting, reading, holding the couch in place, not improving my cooking skills, being blog negligent.

Ah, it's good to be me.

2. What's a household chore you've never done? How have you managed that???

This one was a little tricky. When your other half's job requires him to leave for months on end, you tend to find yourself doing things a little out of your comfort zone. But I can say that I've never cleared a clogged drain.
I can't handle the thought. It makes me want to vomit. Hair balls....I just can't.

I need to move on from this question before I start gagging.


3. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture? Explain.

Yikes. That one might take more space than I'm allotted on blogger. And more brain cells than I care to use at the moment.

I wonder if it's even possible to know; you certainly can't separate one from the other. Generally speaking, I would say that nature and nurture work together to shape our personalities in an unquantifiable manner. I would also say that some individuals seem to be hyper-sensitive to one versus the other and it seems that either nature has overridden nurture or vice-versa.


4. Friday (February 28th) is 'Something on a Stick Day'...funny because Zoanna at A Penchant for Pens recently sent me a question for the Hodgepodge relating to this topic.  What's your favorite food eaten on a stick?

Definitely roasted marshmallows. In desperate times, I've been known to roast a marshmallow over a candle.

I learned this is best done with scentless candles, as the marshmallow will absorb the scent.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

5. Which of your five senses do you treasure most, and why?

I think I take them all equally for granted, and can't imagine life without any one of them.
Not being able to see would probably be the most life-altering, with hearing right behind it.
I guess if I had to sacrifice one, it would be either smell or taste. I suppose not being able to taste would make dieting a little easier. If I couldn't smell, I'd probably live my life paranoid that I had stinky breath, and also compulsively apply deodorant.

6. What's the best music, theatre, or sporting venue you've been to? What made it great?

I don't got much culture, y'all. *smacks chewing gum*

I remember seeing Les Mes in the National Theater in Washington DC, and I loved the musical but can't remember anything about the theater itself.
Here in Madrid, I've enjoyed the intimate settings of the flamenco shows.

I saw Breaking Dawn: Part 2 in the Lighthouse Theater in Monterey, California.
Life altering.
Also, Cinemark Theater in Del Monte Shopping Center, also Monterey. They had a cheap 11:15am showing of Pitch Perfect that really changed my outlook on life.


7. It's the last week of the month...in five words or less bid adieu to your February.

Stop going so fast, months.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

My 8 year old thinks she has a novio. That's Spanish for boyfriend.

My EIGHT YEAR OLD.



At first, I just let it go when she came home saying that she liked José Luis.
He was the class president, and she said he was super listo y educado.
That means smart and polite.

When she continued to mention José Luis on a regular basis, I paused to clarify:

Me: So he's a good friend?
Alex: No, he's my novio.
Me: What do you mean?
Alex: I want to kiss him.
Me: Go to your room right now, young lady!

Only I didn't say that last part. I was too busy hushing her lest her father hear her and hunt down José Luis.

Me: What does José Luis think of this?
Alex (quoting him in heavily accented English): "You are not my girlfriend." It sounded more like Zhu air naut mai ghirlfreend.

Me: Ummm.
Alex: I don't care. He's still my novio.

This has been going on for months.
The other morning she told me she had a dream that a large staircase popped up in the middle of the school patio, and Jose Luis was in a chair at the top, and she climbed up the stairs and kissed him in front of the whole school. And they got married.

She was quite offended when I suggested that maybe she had not actually dreamed that and instead was just trying to make daddy upset.

On Valentine's Day, her teacher asked if any of the children had novios. She raised her hand. José Luis did not. He hid under the table.

One day, JL was very maleducado at school and was removed from office as class president.
This did not deter Alex.

Great. Now she likes the bad boys.

The latest part of this saga is that Alex is thrilled to bits to report that the new class seating chart finds her right next to her beloved.

I guess I'll just have to move her across the ocean to fix this.

6 comments:

Zoanna said...

You're hilarioso! The novio story must become a weekly read for us Hodgepodgers. It's riveting!

Joyce said...

Ahh daughters...the joys of too much hair resulting in clogged drains that give me the shivers, and then that whole novio thing. Not easy no matter what language they speak! Moving is one way to cope : )

Skoots1moM said...

omgoodness...8!
So glad there will be an ocean between them soon ;)
...a sweet time though. Her talking to you about it is a very good thing...maybe that will continue throughout the next several years.

One of Us said...

I didn't know this was a talent "holding the couch in place" but it sounds interesting. I need more research please.

Anonymous said...

But Alex is almost nine mom! Is that still too young to have a novio? Cute story. Darling picture of her and her guitar! By the way, she not only has your feet, those are your hands also. At least she's not totally Josh! :) Miss you all and can't wait till you're back in the states. Love and prayers! Mama

Erin said...

My daughter went through the stage of having a boyfriend, who was unaware that he was a boyfriend. Hysterical!

When you are in Alabama, take the three hour drive to Atlanta sometime and attend a performance (or even a movie) at the Fabulous Fox Theater (that is what they call it). It is a wonderful venue!