***

***

Friday, August 29, 2008

Too cute to be...

Allergic to the World.

See? Aren't I cute?



And yet, I am indeed allergic to the world.


Oy! We got Derek's allergy test results back and in addition to being very allergic to milk, he is also very allergic to peanuts. Hold tight, it gets worse. He is also mildly allergic to wheat, barley, and eggs. Did you hear me say wheat? Yes, the grain that is in EVERYTHING. Sigh.

I'm a little confused right now as to how to proceed...with life. When I was given the results I was told that if he was already eating things included in the milder list of allergies and wasn't having problems then he can continue to eat them. He has actually been eating wheat in the form of crackers and cheerios for several weeks now and seems fine. I'm clinging to the hope that he can continue to eat wheat products, but hesitate to actually give him many. We have a regular pediatrician appointment in a week or so and I think I will inquire about an allergy referral to see if we can get any more info. My plan for now is to alternate between crying and moping. Okay, not really, but that's kind of what I feel like doing.

And then just when you think things are pretty bad already...you find out that we no longer receive the Big 10 network. Sure, that might sound trivial to some of you, but you have no idea how much we enjoy our Michigan football around these parts.

When it rains, it pours.

5 comments:

Jen McD said...

No. Oh, Erin. There are ways around this, and he's going to be ok. You are going to be ok (and a very healthy family of eaters!)

He is wonderfully made!

Annie Pennington said...

Goodness Erin, I'm so sorry. You are an INCREDIBLY Mommy and I so admire you for sticking with breastfeeding even though you had to completely change your diet around in the process, so I have no doubt you'll master this next step amazingly. Blessings to you!

Heather and Scott said...

He is too cute to be allergic to all those things!! My goodness! Do you know if this is something he could possibly outgrow? You are such a wonderful mommy to both Alex and Derek...we will be praying you through this time!!

Rachel said...

I am so sorry, Erin. I know you guys will figure out the hurdles that come with this though. Do you remember Debon and Alexa's mommy in Montomery? Debon has all those same allergies and more. You should look her up. I bet she could offer you a world of help right now.

Audrey said...

I'm sorry Erin! I, too, am hoping he will outgrow some of the allergies. He is cuter than ever! Praying for you all!!